Sunday, June 08, 2008

Meeting The Robinsons Again: Lessons on Moving Forward


"Keep Moving Forward"
Cornelius Robinson

I just can't get the simple motto that drives Disney's "Meet The Robinsons" out of my head. "Keep Moving Forward". It makes so much sense. I don't know if it's biblical or not but it makes a lot of sense to me today to not be trapped by the past.

I know it's not easy to forget the past. Painful experiences. Mistakes. These things make us the people we are today in a lot of ways. Both good & bad shapes us - there's no denying that. The biggest mistake really; would be to dwell on these things and allow them to dictate who we are today. We can change. It's hard work but we can do it with effort and a lot of divine grace. It's not easy but the results at the end of the day are worth it.

In the past year or so I've been learning to leave the past behind and to glean wisdom from my mistakes. It's so easy to slip back into a negative state of mind and wonder why things have not gone my way but in doing so I risk losing sight of all the good things that ARE already in my life. Living in the present is hard-work though cos' more often than not we find ourselves trapped in 2 modes of thought:
  • Living in the past, trapped by our past successes & failures
  • Living in the future, never satisfied & always wanting more
Meeting the Robinsons again on DVD has helped me a lot these past three days and reminded me to be content with what I have now and to live each day out as it comes. I know that GOD is in control but I really do have a part to play in shaping my own life. The future is not cast in stone and there's still a lot to do to live out life and make it good. It's comforting to know that He can take all the bad that's happened in my life and turn it into something beautiful in His time.

Living in the present means forgiving the past (and people too ya?) & learning from it, to have hope for the future but still focus on the now. And that my friend is what it means to "keep moving forward".

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1

No comments: